HIFIS: HIFIS stands for: Homeless Individuals and Families Information System. HIFIS is a secure web-based system that is used to collect and share information to help provide wrap-around services for people experiencing homelessness or housing instability. By sharing information, we can better understand what is happening in our community and are able to more effectively work together to help our clients.
A shared information system can result in more positive outcomes relating to homelessness. A shared information system:
- Reduces client wait times
- Prevents clients from having to re-tell difficult stories to multiple different service providers
- Prevents the duplication of services
- Reduces data entry time for staff and
- Results in quicker and more effective service delivery.
Currently, there are 15 agencies in Durham using the HIFIS database. This list includes shelters and other social service agencies that are committed to preventing and ending homelessness in Durham Region.
HIFIS is an integral part of the Coordinated Access (CAS) strategy’s successful implementation.